If you feel confident handling minor electrical repairs around your home and you follow safety guidelines and repair steps, you can fix a loose wall outlet easily. Here are the first steps to take:
- Turn off the power – one of the most important steps in any kind of safe electrical repair is to turn off the electricity in the room that you are working in, so start your outlet repair going to the circuit breaker, to ensure that there is no electrical current supplied to the area that you are working in;
- Check the wires with a wire tester – use the device to double-check safety;
- Unscrew and remove the outlet from the wall;
- Loosen the terminal screws and take off the wires;
- Check the housing in the wall – if you see any signs of damaged wiring or of burning, do not go on, stop immediately and call a certified electrician because the fault is more severe than it looked at first glance;
- Reattach everything and fasten the outlet back into its place – if you consider it safe to move on, install everything back and you can turn on the electrical supply to the room. If you prefer calling a professional like JM Electric of Denver it is recommended vs doing it yourself.