Carbon monoxide (CO), which should not be confused with carbon dioxide (CO2), is an invisible, odorless and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans and animals. It is often called the “silent killer” because it cannot be detected by any of our senses, we cannot smell, taste or see it. The initial symptoms, fatigue and headaches, are similar to those of the flu. If there are deadly levels of carbon monoxide in a house, the inhabitants may become unconscious and not wake up anymore.
Carbon monoxide detectors generate an alarm before the first symptoms appear: the higher the carbon monoxide concentration, the sooner the device will trigger the alarm.
Most CO detectors have a life expectancy of 5 years, but sometimes they may fail sooner. That`s why it is a good idea to test your detector each month to see if the alarm works. If the detector does not start the alarm when you test it, it is time to replace it.
If you have a CO detector working on batteries, you will need to check the batteries once every 3 months to make sure that they can provide enough power to allow your detector to work properly. On the other hand, if the detector is connected to the electrical system, it will work just fine – but only as long as the power supply is not interrupted. If your smoke alarms are old, it is worth having an electrician from https://jmelectricinc.com/denver-electrician come out and update them with models that are both for smoke and carbon monoxide detection.